Thursday 7 May 2009

Beauty = Pain

So I start my first fashion internship tomorrow. I'll be spending two weeks in the press office of a high-end London department store. I am looking forward to what should be an interesting experience but am stuck on one thing: what the hell do I wear? A couple of days ago I had an informal meeting with a girl for the press office but as it was sort of an interview I just went for simple clothes, nothing too over the top or flashy, just a simple dress that I wore at my old job quite a lot.
As soon as I arrived I realised my mistake; this was a job in fashion, normal rules do not apply. The girl I met was very "on-trend" or whatever you want to call it, she was wearing a pair of very high heeled platforms, skin-tight shiny leggings and bright coloured loose tops. She also had long, seemingly impossible glossy hair and that natural make-up that usually takes ages to get right. I was completely intimidated and immediately wished that I had ignored the blisters that my feet where covered in from the weekend and just strapped on a pair of heels. Needless to say that as soon as I got confirmation that I would be getting the internship, I started worrying about what on earth I would wear. My personal style is kinda rockabilly, 50's style and although that is sort of in style right now, it's not really a look that I think will fly in this particular office. At the same time it would not be wise to just completely copy the other girls look. Anyway I am not into brights really, especially not pinks, greens, yellows and oranges, I mostly like black, maybe a bit of red or if I'm feeling particularly brave a little flash of blue. Plus copying her style would make me look just a little bit stupid. I think to be safe it's all about the rock chick look, layers, lots of black and some dangerous high heels. The plan is to look fashionable and cool without looking like I tried so hard I hurt myself. Plus ultimately I need to feel comfortable and confident. I don't want to feel like the little unfashionable mouse like I did at the meeting but I also don't want to look like a try hard, because that will make me even more comfortable. I guess it's all about trial and error, that and probably a lot more blisters.

No comments: