Friday 26 September 2008

Fall from Grace

Although my previous posts have proved that I have a bit of a love affair with shoes, particularly ones with big platforms and high heels I have been wondering recently about how high we can actually go.
If you've been paying attention to this current run of Fashion Weeks it would appear that the high heel is here to stay. There have been at last count, 5 models whose bums have met the catwalk in recent weeks as they've been toppled by their shoes. It happened at Prada and Pucci amongst others and we haven't even had Paris yet. So if models, people whose job it is to walk and look good doing it, can't stay upright what hope do the rest of us mere mortals have?

Don't get me wrong I love heels and will wear them at the most inappropriate time and place, given the choice between a pair of flats or a pair of platforms in a shop I'll pick the platforms, even if I know I can't walk very far in them. However I know my limits, five inches is the most I can cope with and even then I prefer to know exactly how far I will be expected to walk. But I still love my heels and being only 5ft 2 rely on them to take my up to the same level as the rest of the world.
But as much as I love heels I do know that around 379,000 woman are injured by shoes every year and that they cause an seemingly endless list of health problems. However when I read an article telling me that woman should stick to heels of 1.5 inches or less I yell at the computer screen and assume that the article is written by a man (I'm usually right).

Basically what I'm trying to say is: high heels are truely wonderful but there is nothing wonderful about falling on your butt whilst wearing them. So if fashion tells us to go higher and higher where will it end? Will it get to the point where shoes will have a health warning on the box, like cigarettes? Or will people start sueing Prada when they fall over and hurt themselves in the new seasons shoes?
They say "no pain, no gain" but how far are we willing to go in the name of fashion?

No comments: