Thursday 25 September 2008

Give me a chance to shine and I'll blind the world.

Fashion is about creativity. Well duh, right? But for some people the way they dress hasn't got anything to do with creativity and more to do with covering the bits of themselves they don't want people to see. Which is all well and good if you're not a particularly creative person. I often think it would be better not to be a creative person, I might not want so much Chanel. Plus one thing I have noticed about being creative is that the number of jobs that allow you to express that side of yourself are well, limited. As I've moaned about in previous posts being told what to wear to work doesn't allow you to be creative in what you wear, but doing the dry day to day tasks that working in administration requires also doesn't allow you to express yourself. So you sit there, typing out the same letter over and over again, or endlessly photocopying and you can almost feel the cobwebs starting to form around your brain. Or at least I can. The biggest problem is that when you stop being creative for 37.5 hours a week of your life its seems to make it even harder to be creative outside of those hours. All I seem able to do is slump in front of the telly and hurl abuse at the uncreative programming. Which gets me nowhere.
So I decided to start an evening course which I hoped would blow the cobwebs away and it has almost instantly. Except now I'm in the postion where I can't get the thoughts down as and when they form because I am far too busy photocopying and picking out outfits that won't cause offence. Which therefore leads to frustration, which really has got to be better then apathy but is still well, frustrating. The outcome of this moan is that I need to be creative and surely if someone wants to create something from nothing and produce something that is orginal because it came from them then surely that shouldn't be stifled. Why are people discouraged from doing what they're good at? Those who are good at photocopying and writing minutes and playing office politics should be allowed to get on with it and those who love to write or design or draw or paint or whatever should be allowed to get on with that and give the world the things they create. Whats so wrong with that?

No comments: