Friday 25 July 2008

Birkin' mad

So I created this blog to have a place to rant about my attempts to have fashion in my life on a day to day basis despite the worlds attempts to stop me and force me into the same boring old clothes day after day. However this particular rant is more aimed at others as sometimes well life is unfair and sometimes we need to moan about that.
Whilst at work recently (stuck in the uniform mentioned previously), I spotted a Birkin. Now if your reading this blog then you really should know what one of those is, so I'm not going to go into details about this most famous of bags. What I am going to tell you is that said Birkin was being carried around proudly by a woman in a rather awful black tracksuit and some nasty trainers. So this leads me to my rant. Do people think that if they carry a designer bag, the more expensive the better, it means that they can let the rest of themselves go. Is carrying a Birkin, which carries with it a whole load of messages, a great excuse to just shove on whatever old thing is lying around and head out the door, holding your head up high because although you look like crap, your carrying a Birkin therefore you must be better then everyone else.

To me the girl who has made an effort with her complete outfit, and spent a bit of time expressing her personality through her clothes, no matter what price they were, is more fashionable then the woman with an expensive handbag and the ugly tracksuit. Even if I don't like what shes wearing, if shes making a statement and expressing herself through what shes wearing then the girl whose made some effort gets my respect.
A Hermes Birkin is the ultimate luxury handbag. They are hand-crafted, made and delivered to the Hermes stores at random and require you either signing up to a waiting list or being famous. Carrying one says 'I have enough money to spent on one of these and I actually managed to get one'. It has status and screams wealth, however carrying one does not automatically give you taste or fashion sense.

I also had another thought as I admired the bag, and that was that surely the bag deserved better. I'm not saying you have to dress in couture for a trip to the shops but if you're going to carry the Birkin then surely you could make a tiny bit more effort. Nice dark jeans and a crisp white shirt would look classy and is easy to pull together.

Fashion is about style, its about expressing yourself and who you are. Wearing labels should be done with an appreciation for the designer and the other creators behind what you are wearing. Fashion is not about shoving an expensive handbag on your arm and forgetting the rest. Fashion is about creation, imagination and style. Wearing a Birkin with a tracksuit says many, many things, but style is not one of them.

No comments: